Wednesday, January 7, 2015

I'm BAAAACK!

Firstly, I apologize for being away so long!


I have been writing so much for my graduate studies that I couldn't keep up with my blogging. However, I have learned a new trick to give me more time to blog...
I deleted Facebook!


Lol. Yes, that's right, ladies and gents. I have sacrificed the mother of all social media so that I can focus more on writing and teaching. :) 

Today's Topic: Civics!


Today in AE, we looked at U.S. government documents. Doesn't that sound thrilling??



Ok, maybe not. But here's the thing: If you never study the Constitution or Bill of Rights, you'll never fully understand the way our government works. And believe it or not, government is a big part of our daily lives. 

Now, whenever I teach civics (the study of citizens' rights and roles in government), I always have those Negative Nancies (maybe you're one of them) who like to say things like, "I hate government. I don't vote because it changes nothing. Government has never done anything to help me." However, I find that those people are usually just hiding behind ignorance or illusion. When they truly learn about government -- what it is, who is involved, how it works -- then, they become empowered as citizens. So let's start this lesson with a review of what civic power is.




Government is not just some authoritative body created to take your money and tell you what to do. I am the government. You are the government. We all are the government, especially when we know and act on our civic duties. If you liked the video above, I highly recommend Eric Liu's TED Talk on civics and power.

Your Assignment

...should you choose to accept it...

Read the following documents:
Now, this may seem like a lot of gobbley-gook, which is why you should have come to class where I explained these documents in every-day language! Lol. But since you missed my lesson, here's the best online resource I know for learning civics and history:



Think about the following questions:
I had hoped to make a big vocabulary list for this post, but I'm running short on time.


Womp womp. Lol. That's ok. I'm sure no one was waiting with baited breath for some good, old fashioned vocabulary words and definitions. Remember, the quickest way to learn a new word is to type define and then the word into your Google search bar. No need for a dictionary when you have Google! 

Until next time, friends.
-Jc


No comments:

Post a Comment